Kayla McBride’s eyes mild up when speaking in regards to the Las Vegas offense.
With the addition of 6-foot-Eight Liz Cambage within the offseason to affix 6-5 A’ja Wilson within the Aces’ frontcourt, her life on the court docket as a shooter has gotten a lot simpler.
“Liz and A’ja command a lot consideration that I am getting a variety of attractiveness,” McBride mentioned. “Now we have so many weapons that it makes it robust for defenses to cease us.”
McBride has helped the Aces common 80 factors a sport — third finest within the league. She’s averaging 15.Four factors whereas taking pictures a career-best 48% from the sphere, together with 46.Eight from behind the 3-point line.
Las Vegas has received 5 straight video games and vaulted to the highest of the WNBA standings. The group additionally has moved to No. 1 within the energy ballot for the primary time in franchise historical past.
A have a look at this week’s WNBA ballot:
1. Las Vegas (11-5): The Aces swept a three-game street journey, profitable two shut video games. They head out to Seattle Friday earlier than ending off the primary a part of season with two residence video games.
2. Connecticut (11-6): After hitting a rut, the Solar have received their final two video games and host two video games earlier than the All-Star break. Connecticut is 7-1 at residence this season.
3. Washington (9-6): Elena Delle Donne has been out with a damaged nostril and the Mystics have struggled, dropping three straight. Washington hopes the All-Star captain will probably be again quickly.
4. Minnesota (10-7): The Lynx have been taking part in stellar protection all season, second finest within the league permitting 73.Three factors a sport.
5. Los Angeles (9-7): With Candace Parker sidelined with an ankle harm, the Ogwumike sisters have picked up the scoring load for the Sparks.
6. Seattle (10-8): After a few days off, the rejuvenated Storm returned to motion and dominated opponents. The Storm completed off their residence stretch with simple wins over Dallas and New York.
7. Chicago (9-8): The Sky cap off first a part of season with residence video games in opposition to Indiana and Atlanta.
8. Phoenix (7-8): Diana Taurasi performed her first sport of the season in Connecticut after lacking the Mercury’s first 13 contests with a again harm. It was short-lived return as she missed Phoenix’s subsequent sport although and her standing is unclear.
9. New York (7-10): It was a disappointing street journey for the Liberty, who weren’t very aggressive in opposition to both Chicago or Seattle.
10. Atlanta (5-11): The Dream had their modest two-game profitable streak finish in an extra time loss to Los Angeles. Coach Nicki Collen has the group taking part in higher this month after a horrendous begin to season.
11. Indiana (6-12): The Fever have recently fallen behind large in video games solely to see their reserves are available in and make video games aggressive. However Indiana remains to be searching for another win to eclipse final season’s complete.
12. Dallas (5-11): Wings bought an enormous win over coach Brian Agler’s former Los Angeles group earlier than falling to Seattle and Chicago.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Nneka Oguwmike earned participant of the week honors after serving to Los Angeles win two of its three video games. She averaged 18 factors, 10.Three rebounds and a couple of.7 steals. Others receiving votes included Jordin Canada of Seattle, Sylvia Fowles of Minnesota, Jonquel Jones of Connecticut, Kayla McBride of Las Vegas and Elizabeth Williams of Atlanta.
Sylvia Fowles broke the league document for profession double-doubles, surpassing Lisa Leslie’s mark of 157 in Minnesota’s win over Phoenix on Sunday. Fowles had 14 factors and 13 rebounds within the 13-point win.
The WNBA All-Star has averaged a double-double in six seasons, together with the earlier two. She’s on tempo to maintain that streak going this yr as she’s averaging 14.2 factors and 10.1 rebounds.
YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR
Odyssey Sims, Erica Wheeler and Diamond DeShields have been chosen as All-Star reserves on Monday , marking the primary time that every of them will probably be within the WNBA’s showcase sport.
“It is tremendous particular to me to have made All-Star,” mentioned DeShields, who will probably be joined by teammates Allie Quigley and Courtney Vandersloot in Las Vegas for the sport on July 27. “I work actually laborious to be within the place that I am in, so I am simply going to take all of it in and attempt to take pleasure in this second with my different two teammates.”
Jordin Canada had a stable week averaging 12.7 factors, 7 assists and three.Three steals within the Storm’s two wins. She had 12 assists and no turnovers within the win over Dallas.
GAME OF THE WEEK
Lynx at Aces, Sunday. Cheryl Reeve has Minnesota taking part in with a variety of confidence they usually could be one of many greatest surprises of the WNBA season contemplating solely one in all their beginning 5 is similar as final season.