A person who ate uncooked oysters at a Florida restaurant has died after contracting an an infection from the Vibrio vulnificus micro organism, well being officers say.
The 71-year-old man ate the oysters on July eight at a Sarasota restaurant, which well being officers didn’t determine, and died two days later. “We have now a person that consumed some uncooked oysters and to the most effective of our information had no publicity to salt water, turned severely in poor health, and handed away,” mentioned Michael Drennon, Illness Intervention Companies Program Supervisor on the Sarasota County Well being Dept.
MORE THAN 500 FALL ILL AFTER VISITING TENNESSEE ZIP LINE ATTRACTION
Well being officers say the micro organism may be discovered wherever in salt water at any time and can be present in uncooked or undercooked shell fish. “We inform everyone no matter age or immune standing that they need to keep away from consuming uncooked or undercooked shell fish or seafood or keep away from or being within the salt water once they have an open wound or lesion on their physique,” Drennon mentioned.
Frequent signs are fever, diarrhea and vomiting which may progress severely and rapidly to the purpose of hospitalization, Drennon mentioned. In uncommon instances, the micro organism can change into “flesh consuming illness.” “That is normally not the case when somebody consumes the micro organism,” Drennon mentioned. “Normally their signs are extra gastrointestinal.”
KANSAS MOM CLAIMS FLESH-EATING INFECTION DEVELOPED AFTER SPIDER BITE
Well being officers are investigating and dealing with the restaurant to gather as a lot info as attainable, they mentioned.
This story first appeared on Fox 13.